When Medical Care Is Negligent And Causes Harm
When you entrust your health and well-being to a health care provider, you rightly expect to receive a high standard of care. If you instead receive substandard care that causes injury or illness, you have every right to seek out legal counsel. You may need financial support to cover additional medical care as well as time off work. You deserve compensation for your pain and suffering when a doctor, nurse, therapist, pharmacist or hospital management organization fails you and you suffer harm as a result.
At Rainboth, Murphy & Lown, we conduct thorough investigations when we suspect that our clients have been harmed through medical malpractice. Sample cases include claims for the following:
- Misdiagnosis and failure to diagnose
- Diagnostic lab errors, including mixing up patients’ samples and delivering results too late to be useful
- Cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy and other birth injuries
- Failure to diagnose injuries and illnesses among nursing home residents
- Egregious surgical errors such as operating on the wrong side of the body
- Severe medication errors resulting in major health complications or death
About Misdiagnosis And Failure To Diagnose
Physicians have a duty to rule out serious and life-threatening illness and diagnose medical conditions through a scientific process. When doctors and medical staff take shortcuts, fail to listen to patients, or fail to follow through with indicated tests, the results can be devastating. Many of our clients have suffered harm through the following types of diagnostic errors:
- Misdiagnosis of sepsis (blood infection)
- Failure to diagnose cancer at a treatable stage
- Failure to diagnose strokes despite the signs and symptoms
- Failure to conduct proper diagnostic tests such as MRIs and CT scans
- Failure to administer anti-blood clotting medication as needed
- Misdiagnosis leading to harmful or unnecessary treatment
Why Does Medical Malpractice Happen So Often?
In many communities, huge corporations buy hospitals. For example, HCA Healthcare has purchased three hospitals in New Hampshire. Such organizations often cut staff and high-paid doctors to maximize profits at the expense of patients’ safety. Patient care decisions are made at high levels rather than by hands-on doctors who know the patients. Patients pay the price with their health or their lives when shareholders’ interests override patient safety concerns.
Justice For Victims Of Medical Negligence
Michael Rainboth is an accomplished trial lawyer with many notable recoveries for medical malpractice in New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts. We have the resources to investigate and hire experts who can prove that doctors, hospitals and HMOs made unforgivable mistakes or deviated from the standard of care. Malpractice lawsuits are more likely to go all the way to trial, and we prepare from day one to present our case to a jury.